The History and Future of Apps
Apps are what makes our mobile devices so powerful. They let us do almost anything we need to on the go, whenever and wherever we want! But what is an app? What are the types of apps? How does it impact our lives?
We’ll answer these questions and more in this blog post about what is an app, how it impacts our lives, history of apps and what the future holds for them.
The past decade or so has seen a massive surge in the number of apps available for users to download onto their smartphones and other devices. Apps can help us get anything done while we’re on the go; maybe even make life easier! We’ll share all you need to know about these handy little tools with this blog post about what apps are, what the types of them are and what we can expect from them in the future.
What is an app?
An mobile app (application) is a software program designed to perform one or more specific tasks on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets . Apps work with your phone’s operating system (like iOS for iPhone ) to provide you with direct access to content like:
- Contact lists.
- News articles.
- Social media etc.
Even though all phones have different features depending on what type they are—feature phones vs smartpones etc.—apps should run smoothly across most modern handsets regardless of their make or model.
How does it impact our lives?
Apps help us get what we need by streamlining what used to take a lot of time and effort. They make it easy for us to get what we want wherever, whenever! But how do they work? Apps run on our mobile devices using an app store. When you download an app from the Google Play Store, Apple App Store, or any other type of marketplace where apps are available, the information about that particular program is stored in your phone’s memory so it can open quickly when needed.
Types of Apps
There are many types of mobile apps nowadays and it isn’t only limited to games. Here are the most common types of apps:
- Social networking apps like Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat. They are pretty similar to messaging apps, however, what makes them different is that they are designed to help you connect with other people on a social networking platform.
- Messaging apps like WhatsApp Messenger, Skype, and Viber. They let you chat for free with anyone else who also has the app installed on their phone! These types of messaging apps come in very useful when traveling or if your family and friends live out of town.
- Music apps like Spotify, Pandora, and iHeartRadio. These types of music streaming services let you stream the songs that matter most to you! You can also download tunes so you can listen even when there is no internet connection available.
- Digital wallet apps like PayPal, Square Cash, etc. These are what let you buy things online or at a physical store using your mobile device instead of credit cards. Use them to split the check when dining out with friends by adding people from your contact list directly into the app!
- News & Magazines. Apps like these provide you with current information about going on around you, what celebrities are up to, and more. like New York Times App, BBC News Mobile, Flipboard, etc.
- Education apps like Khan Academy (USA), Docebo (Europe), or Udemy (Global). These apps help you to learn what you want to learn in a self-paced and engaging way.
- Productivity apps like office productivity suites (e.g., Microsoft Office) or task management programs (e.g., Trello ) help you get things done by helping us stay organized. They let us create, edit, save and share documents on the go!
The History of the First App
The first app was created in 1997 by an individual named Todd Dube, who worked for a mobile software company called Globe Productive. The company produced what is known today as the PalmPilot, which ran on the Palm OS operating system that ran at the time only on Palm devices. It took about $300 to develop what would become one of the most successful apps up until then: “To-Do List”.
What can we expect from them in the future?
The fact that there are so many different types of apps already shows just how versatile these tools really are. While what is an app may seem simple enough, what they do for us might not be as obvious at first glance!
As mobile devices become more powerful with each new generation, our dependency on using apps will only increase further. As technology advances towards making life even simpler than it is today—with self-driving cars, home automation systems, etc.—the way we use apps could also fundamentally change over time too. Maybe one day we won’t even need to touch our phones anymore—we’ll just talk and it will do what we want!
Apps are what makes our mobile devices so powerful. They let us do almost anything we need to on the go, whenever and wherever we want! But what is an app? What are the types of apps? How does it impact our lives? We’ll answer these questions and more in this blog post about what…